As is probably to be expected given Milbank's views on Christianity as a 'master discourse' placing all other narratives, he does not have a very positive view on the so called 'theology of religions'. This can be seen through an analysis of his essay entitled 'The End of Dialogue'.
Milbank’s essay ‘The End of Dialogue’ appears in the collection Christian Uniqueness Reconsidered which was designed as a response to the volume The Myth of Christian Uniqueness. In this essay, Milbank takes issue with several of the contributors to Myth and their attempts to render possible a dialogue between different religions. Milbank is critical of the notion that ‘religion’ is a genus which all the different traditions belong to. This (Western) assumption assumes that all the different traditions share similar characteristics and so there can be dialogue between them. On the contrary, argues Milbank, different traditions have construed the world in radically different ways which are ultimately incommensurable.
He acknowledges that various of the contributors have abandoned any attempts to ground dialogue in foundational theoretical reason (which as we have seen Milbank considers an impossibility) and have instead looked to practical reason as a means out of the impasse. Milbank, however, rejects this grounding in praxis as equally mistaken. Praxis does not offer an objective starting point for dialogue but in fact is as inseparable as theoretical reason is, from the tradition in which it originates.
The religions themselves embody certain social projects (i.e. they are ‘political’) in a manner which does not allow for the neat separation of a political realm from an individual sphere of religious experience. Furthermore, even if the pluralists were right, and these two realms could be separated and a common action agreed upon this would do nothing to help mediate the differences between the religions themselves.
Thus with the rejection of theoretical reason as a supposed objective meeting place for the religions, Milbank is able to dismiss such pluralist theologians as John Hick who posits a noumenal realm of pure ‘religious experience’ which bypasses all the supposedly external trappings of religion. With his rejection of the praxis solution it is theologians such as Paul Knitter and Rosemary Radford Reuther who fall under the axe.
Milbank further criticises the pluralists because he believes that their position is in fact detrimental to the social justice agenda they are keen to push. This is a rather damning indictment. Milbank charges that the pluralists are doomed to failure for their notions of justice remain tied to a Western Liberal-capitalist framework. Hence, ‘dialogue’ is not really of any relevance to the poor for whom it is necessary to create the conditions where they can enter conversations no longer as the poor.
Milbank charges that Rosemary Radford Reuther’s use of liberal discourse in speaking of justice for the
I'll post some more on this topic tomorrow, hopefully.
4 comments:
Thanks again for these Milbank posts. I have to say that a good deal of what you have presented here resonates with me. Isn't there a sense in which Christianity must given the nature of its message claim to be the "master discourse"?
Best wishes,
Cynthia
Hi Cynthia,
I do agree with Milbank in this respect. As regards the theology of religions I would hold what might be termed a 'particularist' position.
Where I'm a little reticent to follow Milbank is in his claims that there can be no dialogue whatsoever, i.e. that the religions are completely incommensurable. I'm absolutely opposed to a pluralist position but can't help but feel that some constructive engagement can take place. My former teacher when I was at University developed his approach to the theology of religions based partly on Milbank's position but combining it with a Macintyrean approach. I would be inclined to do the same.
I whole-heartedly agree that mission ought to take precedence over mere 'dialogue' but, once again, I much prefer the position of somewhat like Macintyre who, whilst in no way asserting that any narrative can ever be anything other than tradition-specific, nonetheless still holds that traditions can engage each other dialectically. Milbank just calls for 'out-narration'.
As regards his basic premise though, that Christianity's missionary imperative must trump liberal dialogue, I am in agreement. I'll probably post a third section on Milbank and the religions.
Regards,
David
Hi David,
What you say makes a good of sense. Since you brought MacIntyre into the conversation, which is another area of interest for me, would you be interested in doing a multi-part series on MacIntyre on my blog as a guest post-er? If so, email me and I'll give you the details.
Cheers,
Cynthia
cynthia.nielsen@gmail.com
Thanks very much for the offer but I'm afraid I'm not really the best person to write up something on your blog specifically on Macintyre, there are many more people who would be far better acquainted with his work to grace your blog.
Thanks again for the offer though.
Post a Comment